Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Gestational Diabetes

I am one of those pregnant women who acquired Gestational Diabetes. I have been reading a lot because I am very concerned on its effect on me and on the baby. I found this helpful information and wish to share with you.

It's not enough to get pregnant, it's critical to have healthy pregnancy and safe delivery...


What is gestational diabetes?

Gestational diabetes is diabetes that is found for the first time when a woman is pregnant.
Gestational (jes-TAY-shun-ul) diabetes is diabetes that is found for the first time when a woman is pregnant. Out of every 100 pregnant women in the United States, three to eight get gestational diabetes. Diabetes means that your blood glucose (also called blood sugar) is too high. Your body uses glucose for energy. But too much glucose in your blood can be harmful. When you are pregnant, too much glucose is not good for your baby.
This booklet is for women with gestational diabetes. If you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes and are considering pregnancy, call the National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse at 1–800–860–8747 for more information and consult your health care team before you get pregnant.

Following are the things discussed about Gestational Diabetes. I suggest you follow the link below to read more about it...

# What causes gestational diabetes?
# What is my risk of gestational diabetes?
# When will I be checked for gestational diabetes?
# How is gestational diabetes diagnosed?
# How will gestational diabetes affect my baby?
# How will gestational diabetes affect me?
# How is gestational diabetes treated?
# How will I know whether my blood glucose levels are on target?
# Will I need to do other tests on my own?
# After I have my baby, how can I find out whether my diabetes is gone?
# How can I prevent or delay getting type 2 diabetes later in life?
# Where can I get more information?

What I need to know about Gestational Diabetes

1 comment:

  1. Diabetes when detected in pregnant women is known as type 2 gestational diabetes. This diabetes occurs in the second trimester or even as far as the third trimester. There are many factors responsible for the development of gestational diabetes such as age, size or family history. Along with gestational diabetes, high blood pressure is a common problem. It is very important to follow a gestational diet plan to prevent gestational diabetes. It is very much necessary to keep a watch on the amount of calories intake. For more details refer what is gestational diabetes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails